Sunday, May 17, 2015

No scrub.

I love the 80s.

More specifically, I love the teen movies of the 80s.

Why, you ask? Because they were heavy on the angst and drama.

I must admit, I love me some relationship drama. And sometimes, I kinda miss it.

My marriage to Hubs, while great in numerous aspects, occasionally lacks the intensity and theatrics of my previous relationships. There is arguing, yes. (I mean, we're not called The Bickersons for nothing) And there is passion, too. Admittedly, less intense than when we first started dating, but it's there.

But what there isn't? THE DRAMA.

There is no boom box playing a Peter Gabriel song outside my window at 3 in the morning.

I never coveted him from afar, wishing he'd break up with his girlfriend and notice I was alive, all the while having my family forget my birthday and being annoyed by a nerd.

We never faced family and peer persecution because we were from opposite sides of town, resulting in a traumatic prom experience.

He never paid me to hang out with him and make him cool, and after the whole school found out and shunned him, I realized how much I really liked him.

We never started out as enemies, got to know each other, discovered everything we had in common, and fell in love after spending an afternoon in detention in the school library.

Bottom line is, real life isn't like that.

In real life, when you are in a good relationship, you don't break up five times, yell about how much you hate each other, sleep with your ex, and then get back together and live happily ever after.

In real life, it's not a good relationship if you have to play games and manipulate the other person into things.

(I mean, except when I manipulate Hubs into doing stuff for me, like laundry or other housework. But I am able to do that because he loves me.)

There comes a point where you tire of the games, of the uncertainty, of the instability.

At least, I did.

There comes a point where you just want someone to be real with you. To tell you how they feel, and where you stand with them.

And there comes a point where even a girl who thrives on the drama wants to know that no matter how bad the argument or how angry the man, he's not going anywhere.

Maybe it's not as exciting as a movie, but it's real.

(Plus, who wants to be a teenager again? I mean, sure, 27 is looking pretty good right now, but 17? No thanks.)

(Except I'd really like to still get away with daily wear of glitter eyeliner. Oh well.)

No comments: